Since 1929, Standard Electric Company has grown to a dominant position in the electrical industry with 30 branch locations throughout central and northern Michigan. Standard employs over 300 people and generates sales in excess of $150 million annually. In 1999, the company headquarters in Saginaw, Michigan, moved to a brand new $3.5 million, seventy-two thousand square foot facility, complete with state of the art offices and warehouse.
We continue to drive forward, offering new technology, products, and business methods. Our vast product offering encompasses electrical, automation, and network communication systems and components.
Brothers Morris and Max Blumberg and Samuel Cohen established Standard Electric Company in Pontiac, Michigan, in 1929. Soon thereafter, in 1937, the company ventured north and a branch was opened on Genesee Street in Saginaw. William Tarrant became branch manager of this location in 1948. Two years later the company purchased the Coca-Cola plant and moved to 406 Meredith Street in Saginaw. Two more branches were opened: Ferndale in 1951 and Mt. Clemens in 1965. Founder Samuel Cohen’s brother, Abe, became President of Standard Electric in 1966.
Standard Electric’s Saginaw Division opened a branch in Midland in 1958 and in Bay City in 1963. Meanwhile, a building was purchased at 401 Holden Street in Saginaw. This was the headquarters of Standard Electric until 1999, when the new facility was built at 2650 Trautner Drive in Saginaw and headquarters were moved to this location.
When Bill Tarrant retired in 1972, Laverne Weber became Northern Division Manager, responsible for the operation of the Saginaw Division branches. Then, in 1974, he was named Vice President of Standard Electric. Jerry Sonenklar succeeded Abe Cohen as President upon his retirement in 1973. Jerry Webb became General Manager and in 1974 he was named Vice President.
The Northern Division of Standard Electric continued its growth into the 1970’s and 1980’s, when the company opened branches in Alpena, Gaylord, St. Louis (now Mt. Pleasant), Traverse City, and Petoskey. In 1982, Southern division branches including Pontiac, Ferndale, and Mt. Clemens were sold to Madison Electric Company, our sister company, and the company headquarters of Standard Electric was moved to Saginaw. Laverne Weber was named Vice President and General Manager. He became President in 1988.
During the 1990’s, branches were opened in Bad Axe, Saginaw West (now merged with headquarters), Cadillac, Lansing, Flint and Grand Rapids. The Jackson, Kalamazoo, and Brighton (formerly Howell) branches of Madison Electric of Ann Arbor were purchased by Standard Electric.
In the mid and late 1990’s, Standard Electric diversified into the world of industrial automation and network communications. The Industrial Automation Division provides sales and support in the area of industrial computers, programmable logic controllers, man/machine interface, and adjustable frequency drives. The Network Communication Division offers a wide range of communications products, including fiber optics, category cables, and connectivity products. Together these divisions make up one of the fastest growing segments of our industry.
Electrical Energy is, and will continue to be, the cornerstone of our quality of life. As we move into the future there will be an ever-increasing need for new products and services to harness the use of this energy.
In our vision of the future, Standard Electric Company:
> Will continue to be an efficient distributor of products and services for our customers, providing value beyond their expectations;
> Will provide superior delivery through the use of optimum logistical systems and will work continuously to improve these systems;
> Will strive to maintain the most accurate and well-positioned inventory possible;
> Will take the lead in the introduction of new products and innovative systems;
> Will create a work environment that provides our associates with meaningful challenges and opportunities for personal growth;
> Will be a responsible corporate citizen;
> Will be an effective marketer of our suppliers’ goods, gaining market share for them and for ourselves;